Nov 9th 2010 By Jeremy Taylor
In the new movie "127 Hours
," James Franco
portrays Aron Ralston
, a solo hiker who made the gruesome (but life-saving) decision to amputate his lower right arm with a dull knife after being trapped under a boulder for more than five days.
The film, which opened last week, is getting strong reviews
. It is perhaps most notable for its painstakingly realistic amputation scene, which has caused some viewers to faint or suffer panic attacks.
We're not quite sure if we'd want to see something like that, but we do know every time we think of the unfortunate loss of a limb, it brings to mind the most classic of Would You Rather? scenarios.
So let's do this: Would you rather lose an arm or a leg?
If you're having trouble making up your mind, read on and we'll help you break it down.
I'd Rather Lose a Leg
Would you rather lose an arm or a leg?
|Leg -- Team pegleg ||788 (57.5%)|
|Arm -- Team hook||582 (42.5%)|
• Prosthetic legs work better and are much easier to conceal.
• It's an awesome excuse to ride around on a Segway
all the time, Gob-style
• Famous one-legged people: gold-digging model Heather Mills
, baseball impresario Bill Veeck
, revenge-obsessed whaler Captain Ahab
Take My Arm
• While losing any limb would affect your ability to have sex, losing a leg would seem to present more of a challenge to a varied sex life
• A prosthetic arm would be easier to weaponize, if you're into that sort of thing
• Famous one-armed people: former U.S. senator and Vietnam War hero Bob Kerrey
, Def Leppard
drummer Rick Allen
, the character Luke Wilson
played in "Anchorman